Tripp family genealogy; some accounts about people, some house locations, and their builders
1-170Genealogy of the Tripp Family
43Otis Tripp built the house on the corner of Highland Ave. and Forge Road, he sold same to Charles C. King, later bought it back. After Otis's death, it was sold to Lemuel Gifford, father of Fred.
61Charles Leander Sherman, b.3-25-1841, d. 10-1-1923. Records read deserted from U.S. Navy 6-17-1861, ship "Mississippi".
62David Davenport Tripp, our great grandfather, was born on the west side of
Drift Road about ½ mile south of the village. He built a house on the east side of Pine Hill Road, about one mile from the village (still standing 1955) later owned
by Frank Souza and now owned by his son-in-law William Oliver.
Nancy Rounds Tripp, our great grandmother, was born on Drift Road, perhaps
about one mile south of the village, daughter of Isaac Tripp, Jr. and Mary Rounds
whose parents were David and Hannah (King) Rounds of Tiverton. Isaac Tripp
Jr.'s ancestors were, Isaac-Francis-James-John. When our great grandparents
married they united the two Tripp families, Joseph and John Tripp. They both
lived over 80 years and were interred in Linden Grove Cemetery at the Head,
also other members of the family, marble stones mark their graves. (Andrew Sherman)
63Nicholas W. Brightman, Civil War veteran, Beech Grove Cemetery. Nicholas
lived with Carrie Davis on Reed Road where they built a new house, later owned by Philip Macomber.
66Albert Cummings. He was down the river with other boys shooting shore birds,
he picked up his gun by the barrels and the hammer caught on the boat and discharged, going through his bowels, dying very soon after.
68Eliphalet Tripp built the house (still standing) on the north side of Old County
Road, in the village, second house east of Reed Road, in 1828. A few years after,
he sold the house to two men who ran a tavern there and went into the business
of live oaking in the southern states. This is an oak having large natural curved
limbs, used for ship ribs, etc. He contracted yellow fever and died in Mobile,
85After Ephraim Thomas Tripp died in 1835, Prudence S. married George Washington Simmons, son of Benjamin and Peace (King) Simmons. Ephraim and Prudence lived on the south side of Old County Road, a little west of the end of Sanford Road and a short distance in.
130Maude (Tripp) Lewis died of suffocation by coal gas.
135Amy Sophronia learned the trade of gents tailor in New Bedford. She went to the home of Stephen Tripp on Pine Hill Road to make some suits for members of the
family, boarding with them as was the custom in those days. Amy fell in love with Stephen's son John and they were married Feb. 20, 1860 in New Bedford.
I don't know if she ever received her pay for making the suits or not but anyway
she got John.
Stephen's house was on the east side of Pine Hill Road, about a mile south of Head of Westport Village, built by Nicholas Howland, son of Zoeth, soon after
1730. It was of the Cape Cod type, two pitch roof, set lengthwise with the road.
John and Sophronia lived on the Homestead where Hattie Maria, James Harvey
and Sarah Esther were born. Some time previous to 1870 they bought a farm
1/3 mile to the south on the west side of Pine Hill Road.
John gradually lost his eyesight and was totally blind when his youngest child
John Stephen was born. After John Sr. passed away in 1891 Sophronia, with the
help of James and John Jr., operated the farm until her death in 1922. During the
summer of 1896 the roof of the house was raised up to make full height rooms
on the second floor where James lived with his family until1907 at which time
he bought the John C. Macomber house across from the Pacific Union Church.
When the estate was settled Julius Smith bought the farm. John and Sophronia
were both interred in Maple Grove Cemetery, Head of Westport.
146Israel Wood and Hannah (Tripp) lived on the lower end of Drift Road. Apparently they had no children, so the farm was given to her brother Joseph,
in 1832 it was sold to Stephen Allen, and then to Lucius Sheldon.
150Jonathan P. Tripp lived on the homestead of his birth, now owned by the
descendants of George Wood, between Sodom Road and Devoll Pond.
153Howard P. Tripp built the house (still standing 1955) on the north west corner of
Gifford and Mouse Mill Roads from his share of a whaling voyage to the Arctic
with Capt. Crapo. The total cost was $600, built by John Sisson as boss carpenter
who received one dollar per day for his labor.
Howard in his old age sold the home to his son Capt. James and moved into the house formerly occupied by James, in the village at Head of Westport, now owned by William Smeaton. Howard followed the sea in his younger days but
later was a farmer and butcher.
159Capt. Daniel C. Grinnell went whaling in his younger days. Taught seamanship and navigation to his brothers-in-law Jonathan, Herbert, James and Alexander. Was Captain on the Fall River to New York steamers.
169Capt. Herbert Franklin Tripp's home was on Gifford Road, in the village, now
owned by Samuel H. Boyles. Capt. Herbert died of a heart attack while eating
dinner in the cabin of his schooner anchored in Fall River harbor.
170Capt. James Frederick Tripp went coasting in his younger days with his brother-
in-law Capt. Daniel Grinnell. Most of his active life was spent in farming, egg
merchant and an ice business. He lived on the Homestead farm.
|Category||8: Communication Artifact|